Thursday, March 18, 2010

Let the Wild Rumpus Start

How was your St. Patrick’s Day? Did you wear green and drink green beer? I surely wore green as I am half Irish, but I hate beer no matter the color. The plan had been to go out to a pub near us. I didn’t want to go at all. And God intervened again. Three cheers for God! First, one of my son’s drove to a nearby mall right before dinner – the traditional corned beef and cabbage which is his personal favorite. His truck broke down which meant a trip to an auto parts store and fixing it in the parking lot. Some time passed, but how would I know exactly how much time because right after he left home our electricity went out…again. Happened on Sunday too.

My dilemma: go to Mass looking like an absolute goof with poker-straight hair as I had washed it earlier but hadn’t used my curling iron yet. Life’s little decisions. After some thought, I went. Who would care? Who would even notice? The power was out there too, but at church it’s always kind of cool if the power goes out. More spiritual feeling.

Once home we finally ate our corned beef meal but the thrill was gone. None of us were too peppy. Two sons and husband. The delay kept one son from going out, and the other son didn’t want to go. Yay! We stayed home – no drunken atmosphere for us!

And guess what we rented to watch? Where the Wild Things Are. Oh, what a movie! I positively loved it. It’s a must-see. I was quite skeptical at first. I read the book to my boys when they were younger, of course, but it was a short book. How could someone possibly make a movie from that? Well, they did it.

At one point when all the wild things were jumping on one another I got up, ran across the room and jumped on my 20-year-old and just kept kissing him and kissing him! I thought he was going to die! It was so funny. I’m going to watch the movie again today. I have forgotten how to have fun. I really have. I’m a brooder too much of the time. I need to find the joy in the moment. Fellow brooders, rent the movie!

In these parts spring is finally showing its bright, warm face. It’s amazing how much happier people are when the weather is warmer. The general mood is cheery. So bring it on, spring. “Let the wild rumpus start!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)