Thursday, December 6, 2007

Were Our Moms This Stressed?

So, how crazy are you on this St. Nicholas Day? Did the little kiddies put their shoes out last night? Christmas tree up yet? How many presents bought? Cards written yet?

I have “part” of one of those lovely Christmas chores done. I wrote most of my cards yesterday. Tree’s not cut down yet. Presents bought: next to nil. House messy as ever not even ready to receive decorations – Ho Ho Ho.

I, however, am trying not to be Scrooge-like. One year I sent my Christmas cards on Christmas Eve Eve and made the postmaster laugh. So, I’m ahead of the game on that score. Instead of a million things to do, I now only have 999,999! Score one for me.

Why do we do it, ladies? Why do we do so much? Were our moms this stressed? They had less modern conveniences, so they should have had less free time – or did they have more? Were they less-stressed than their daughters are? Were they happier? Or did they just not complain as much as we do? I wonder.

~Maureen Locher

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Maureen! I love your blogs!

    I think my mom, sweetheart 80-year-old that she is now, just plopped me into the playpen until I was 5! LOL. No, not exactly.

    But, seriously, I think our mothers had different stresses. They multi-tasked, too, but I don't think they had as many taxi driving duties when we were kids, as our kids do today.

    So many kids are scheduled for so much. I've only got my kids in soccer these days (actually, it's off season, lazy home-bound fun time right now), but in the past I had them involved in too many extracurricular activies.

    I think each of us needs to find our own balance--that finely-tuned method of juggling what we choose and choosing what to juggle and what to put off until later.

    It's hard to keep the right perspective, but these blogs and online magazines sure do a lot of good!
    ~Sue Donckels

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother complained constantly. About everything. Mainly household tasks. She was MUCH happier when she went back to work, though she will vehemently deny this. ;)

    Housework isn't my strong suit either, but I will do what needs to be done when it needs doing - this works better for me rather than a "schedule" of tasks (bathrooms on Monday, laundry on Tuesday, and so forth). I would rather feel productive than tied down, if that makes any sense at all.

    I, er, haven't done Christmas cards in years. I should actually head over to Snapfish and see if I can find a good shot of the boys to use before, well, Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think our moms were as stressed as us and I certainly don't think our grandmothers were! I blame society. We have more media influences that tell us we should be having our kids in this and this, and we should be part wife, part mom, part business lady. They give us an unattainable image of a perfect house amidst all the other demands in our life. Too much stuff! I'm learning....

    ReplyDelete

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)