Saturday, January 26, 2008

Willpower - Whose Power?

Willpower. Today is a Saturday with nothing of great consequence on the horizon. So as I looked at the clock around 6:30 this morning I stayed snuggled under the covers and thought. I love the time before the sun comes up. I love the dark. Once the first streak of light brightens the sky it's just not the same.

So God and I talked about many things. For some reason the word "willpower" flashed into my mind. Now when I think of willpower the first thing that comes to mind is food and exhibiting willpower to resist food. But this New Year I made no such resolutions. In fact this year I made no resolutions of any kind. They don't work. And you know why they don't work? Because I am not resolute about my resolutions.

"Marked by firm determination," Merriam Webster's dictionary defines resolute. I guess I've just never had that firm determination for any resolution I've ever made. Nothing I've ever come up with seemed to matter all that much to me in the long run. And aren't resolutions supposed to be about the long run? Losing weight, doing this, not doing that - who cares?

Curiously, a synonym for resolute is "faithful." I can relate to that word. As I lay in bed this morning that's what I thought about. How can I do what I'm supposed to do to stay faithful - to do what God what's me to do? Then and there is how I thought of willpower in a different light. In a different light in the dark.

Whose will are we talking about in willpower? Whose will are we attempting to assign the power? If it's our will chances are we will fail. But if it's God's will He'll give us all the power we will ever need to succeed. So tomorrow as you lie in bed ask God what His will is for you just for that one day. Don't ask Him to lay out your life in front of you. That's not showing true faith. If you knew all the answers ahead of time what would be the point? I sure don't want a crystal ball. Sometimes I may act as if I do but that's when I'm not aligned to God's will. When I get to thinking too much I get into trouble.

Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. Whatever God wants to happen will happen. His power will make it happen. Yes, we all have free will - yet another "will" word. Free will, God's will, willpower. These are connected. Use your free will to choose God's will and God will give you the willpower to carry it out. Try it tomorrow. Continue it into all your tomorrows.
~Maureen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)