Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Crunchy Ashes

Did you feel the crunchy ashes glide across and down your forehead today? Were you a visible reminder to all you met that we have begun a very special time of reflection for the next 40-something days? Are you giving up things this Lent or are you giving more? Or a combination of both? Enough questions.

When I look at the many and varied people in my life I can be in their presence for a very short time before knowing for whom they are living at any particular moment - whether it be living to do God's will or their own will.

I look at my own children. There is a life I want for each of them. I want them to learn the things I have been learning these past few years of daily Mass and attention to God's will in my life. But I can't force it on them. They must choose it. They are all old enough. I am greatly disappointed that none of them opted to go to Mass today to receive ashes. Why should it be an option? But it is. Everything in our lives is an option; it's called free will. Yet another instance of God's genius.

Ash Wednesday is so much more than being smeared with the burnt palms. It's a solid beginning to a time of reflection. In today's non-stop pace I wish for my boys and for all of you readers to take the time to slow down. If one doesn't avidly seek a slowdown it will never come. Unless perhaps God decides to intervene to seriously slow you down and in my experience that's usually a little scary - until you fully realize God's purpose.

So what is God's purpose for your life right now? Do you have a pretty good handle on it or are you clueless? Everybody must start somewhere, so clueless is OK - for now, if that's where you truly are.

Maybe you do not have the luxury of attending daily Mass; I consider it a great gift from God and I hope I must never live without it. Mass centers me. That's the key to a worthwhile day which, before you know it, turns into a wonderful life, George Bailey!

Too many people don't have a clue as to what God wants to do with their lives. Many simply do not care. They don't ask Him. Find that quiet time. Steal it if you must, but find 15 minutes a day if that's all you can muster.

Ask God what He wants you to do and look and listen all day long for His answers. You will be amazed at the ways in which He replies, and how frequently. It's scary and freaky and fun and awesome all at the same time. Do it and you'll begin a frienship for life - the Friendship that is life.

Happy Ash Wednesday! Find that time tomorrow. Come back. I'll be here. I promise.

~Maureen :)

1 comment:

  1. Maureen, I'm really grateful that you posted this. I too am Catholic (though was unable to attend Mass today due to weather :( ) and even though I have not fully participated in Lent for several years, this year I really need to. My family and I are at a crossroads - trying to figure out where to live and what careers we'll work in - and I've been so anxious, I've been overeating and just not being very disciplined.

    But I am bound and determined to stop my bad habits and listen for that "still, small voice"! I am doing daily devotionals and praying for God's direction - and also trying to devote more time to my fiction, which is what I really believe is my purpose (at least part of it) in life. I know it gives me the greatest peace. Anyway, if you could pray for us too, I would really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)