Monday, March 17, 2008

We Need God; He Doesn't Need Us

Jesus came for the common woman and the common man. He came for the ones who are searching, the ones who are lost and lonely. He came down to earth to suffer as we suffer. Not only the scourging and crucifixion but also to experience the deep down sadness and loneliness that fill so much of our lives.

What if Jesus had been the most happily of married men with lovely children and not a care in the world? No worries touched his life, no sickness, no disappointment, no sadness at all. Isn't it really hard to imagine that life as one belonging to Jesus?

Don't you always relate best to someone who has gone through what you are going through? If you are sad and searching, to whom could you better relate than Someone who could have had anything He wanted, anyone He wanted, yet He chose to remain alone? Jesus didn't have a wife to love. No little Jesuses to whom He could teach His carpentry trade. No little Marys gazing up at Him as if He were the greatest Man on the face of the earth.

Jesus could have had all that and more. A loving wife, children, a home. Instead He chose to live the life of a nomad never settling down, not calling anywhere "home."

Why would He do that? To show us all that we can survive alone because we are never really alone. That when we seek comfort we need only look up. That when we desire a confidant we need look no further than the end of a heartfelt prayer.

We need God; He doesn't need us. We are to rely on God for everything. That's what Jesus did. He relied upon His Father for everything. Jesus had a tunic, a robe and a pair of sandals, so we're told. Not closetsful of clothes. Not shelvesful of collectibles. No transportation except when He rode into Jerusalem. He walked everywhere He needed to go. He didn't carry a Nazareth knapsack filled with food. Remember that when God the Father enabled His Son Jesus to feed the multitudes, God was feeding His own Son as well. He was taking care of Him just as He takes care of all of us.

You may think you are calling the shots in your own life, but you are not; God is. Chances are the more you truly think you are in control, the more mucked up your life probably is. Let God control your life; He does it anyway. Rely on Him. Expect Him to take care of you. Welcome it and show your gratitude to Him at every opportunity.

This start of Holy Week go to your Father. Tell Him you love Him. Tell him you need Him. Ask Him what He wants you to do. Ask Him what He wants for you. And then listen and obey.

~Maureen :)

2 comments:

  1. My struggle this Lent - and it has been a serious one - has been with God (seemingly) not listening. Through storms, sickness, power outages, bored children, stifling of my own creativity - I have tried so hard to be grateful for what I have, knowing that others have it worse than I do, telling God over and over, "Here I am" - and I know that He wants me to be where I am, attending to my children's needs rather than my own... but I feel stuck in a rut, and as if "me" is slipping away, and it runs so far counter to what I have (until now?) believed He had in mind for me.

    I feel horrible for being so impatient and angry. But so many people I know are stuck in similar ruts. No one is catching a break. It's not hard to believe that God will use all of this for good, but it is hard to keep going forward when you have no idea when it is going to end. Even at Easter time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for raising some interesting points during Holy Week, Maureen! You made me think!
    To quote my son: "Mom, what is "risen?"
    "I don't know, Toby, you tell me."
    "Jesus. He is RISEN."

    :)
    karrie

    ReplyDelete

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)