Saturday, February 7, 2009

I Believe in Miracles

The cure isn't the miracle; it's all the people praying for it. We think we don't witness miracles in our world because we don't see a hillside Jesus sharing loaves and fishes. I have yet to attend a wedding where the water turns into wine. And how many more people are diagnosed every day than cured?

As economic woes pound our nation and far off enemies kill each other, it's easy to become jaded and question God's power to transform. We want peace now, filled bellies, and cancer eradicated. But that's not God's modus operandi. Of course He could perform all such miracles. So why doesn't He?

So we can.

For the past few weeks I have been working on a book pitch. B-I-G deal for me. My confidants knew D-Day was this past Thursday. Grateful for their prayers and encouragement I was sure to call them afterward to tell them the encouraging news that I am one step closer. It was a happy day.

Later the same afternoon I got a call from someone I'd forgotten to tell, "Hey, Mo, how'd your deal go? You know, I said a little prayer to God for you today at 11:00 and I don't do that very often."

THAT'S the miracle. That's why I went to sleep that night with a smile on my lips. That's why I'm misty-eyed right now remembering his words. His concern for me brought him closer to God if only for the few moments it took to utter his heartfelt petition. He talked to God on my behalf in the same way God's multitude does every day in the name of a sister, a friend, a spouse, a stranger.

The miracle is in the stocking of food pantry shelves, in relief efforts inundating victims of natural disasters, in calling up a lonely person to say hi. Whenever we give of ourselves for another it's a miracle. How many miracles will you perform today?

~ Maureen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)