Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Plan B

We all know God works in mysterious ways but today’s one for the record books. Some necessary background: As most of you know I am the mother of four boys aged 18-23. We should contemplate installing a revolving door as most days my sons are off to college classes or to work, and no one has the same schedule. Consequently, all are not home or away at the same time. How I long for solitude! I remember when they hopped on the bus at 7:00 each morning and returned at 2:00. All four. All together. Me here. All alone.

Anticipating this day I had re-arranged my schedule to be home after attending Ash Wednesday Mass in the morning. I had hoped to write undisturbed all day long and into the night if it struck my fancy because my husband had to go out of town. I could spread my papers all over the bed staying up all hours if I so chose. Last night he tells me he’s not leaving until sometime this afternoon. Blow #1.

We have so many cars and trucks spilling over our driveway into our muddy snowy yard people actually comment, “Wow, you must pay a fortune for insurance,” and, “Your yard looks like a Chevy truck lot.” Yes…and yes. Unfortunately this day we are three – count ‘em – three vehicles short. Two in the shop and one driving to Michigan. Blow #2.

We share everything here: one bathroom for six people, a community computer (although a couple laptops are interspersed here and there), and today – transportation. Many are sacrificing for the benefit of all. But I had to give up Ash Wednesday Mass with all my friends or one of my sons couldn’t go to class. Seems like cruel and unusual punishment to me. I don’t think that qualifies as giving something up for Lent. Blow #3.

I know I can attend evening Mass at 7:00 but I like being out in the world with those crunchy ashes on my head. I like telling the whole world I’m Catholic. Tonight I’ll receive them, wash my face and go to bed. Not the same. But this is how it is today. Plan B. It must have God’s stamp of approval on it, for everyone in my family is doing “for the other.” Some, myself included, begrudgingly, but doing it none-the-less. Not a bad way to begin this season of reflection and renewal after all.

This Lent I wish you quiet time alone with God as you map out your next fortysomething days. Let's draw nearer to God together.

~ Maureen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)