Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Change Your "To-Do's" into "Ta-Da's"

Yesterday I wrote about yesterday’s yesterday. Today I shall write about today’s yesterday. Got that?

For a brief, brainless moment yesterday while still lying in bed, I contemplated skipping Mass and Bible Study to instead: wash dishes, fold clothes, and generally whip my house into shape in preparation for my son’s birthday cookout on Saturday. And I also hoped to find the time to write something worth reading.

Sanity prevailed, no doubt by some heavenly mom writer nudge, and I dressed and went where I belong to begin my days. I could have washed those dishes, folded those clothes and written those words, among other ‘to-do’s.” Or I could have listened to God speak to me. I could have been nourished by His Body and His Blood, or I could have had a clean glass from which to drink.

I chose to follow the example of the enlightened woman at the well. She didn’t need a bucket; I don’t need a clean cup. I just need what’s in the Cup.

So, how did my day unfold? Mass, followed by Bible Study, writing, catching up with a friend, and writing some more. My kind of day! I filled up in the morning so I could empty myself the rest of the day, nourished from the Word, the Bread and the Cup. And among my scribbled notes at Bible Study, I happily reread: “My whole existence is in revealing God.”

Right now, I swear on a stack of bibles that I am looking at a little saying I’d ripped out of a magazine, and taped to my bedside table months ago: Change your “to-do’s” into “ta-da’s.”

I did that yesterday. I wish you the grace to change your to-do’s into ta-da’s today and all your tomorrows.

~ Maureen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)