Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Serendipity

For the past decade summer holiday weekends have come and gone. My husband and I sit at home at the end of them and wonder where the days went. This Labor Day weekend was different. Friday we went out with our boys and had a lot of fun. Saturday we sweltered in 95 degree humidity at a pig roast and had a ball. We ate, we visited, we watched our boys play in a cornhole tournament. Sunday brought a family picnic where I made a special point to talk to every single person. I mean - what's the point of having a family picnic if you don't talk to your family?

Yesterday my husband and I braved the dark skies to go to the county fair. We basically went there for lunch. Started out with a funnelcake, followed by a corndog, chocolate covered banana, washed it down with a root beer float. Next added a veggie to the gastric delight in the form of a buttered corn ear. Yum! Slushed that with a lemon shake. And then we went home. It cost a fortune but it's once a year.

For the first time in forever I actually hosted a little picnic after I went out somewhere in the day. That never happens because I am always a crazy person running around getting the house and food ready. I would never entertain the thought of leaving my house to have some fun. However, with all the lovely home improvements we have made to our home in the last few months I have gained much more confidence and feel much better in my home. It's a wonderful feeling.

Two hours before company arrived I whipped up a batch of chocolate chip cookies. That would never have occurred in past years. The day was leisurely and when company arrived we all had a good time eating and visiting.

My dad used to call it serendipity. You just don't know what will happen unless you try. So I tried and I succeeded in enjoying a very fun long weekend. Now it's back to reality and painting my dining room. Ugh! This morning I looked at every item in the room and asked myself, "Now where can you go instead of being in the dining room?" And then I lugged them all wherever. The dining room is the last major room which needs painted. Back to the grind but with happy memories behind me.

~ Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)