Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Will You Walk the Walk?

It's bitter cold in these parts right now. Quite unlike the climate in Jesus' whereabouts way back when. Nowadays people move at a frantic pace; back then more leisurely, I think. But 2000 years ago we did not have antibiotics or washing machines - two wonderful creations. I do not wish to live in Jesus' time. At least I don't think I do.

I always like to think that I would never be the one to yell, "Crucify Him." I refuse to do so during the Passion on Palm Sunday. I would hope I'd be a Mary Magdalene, but one never knows, does one? Would I really have the guts to buck the system and drop everything to follow Jesus if He asked me?

I'll let you in on an incident that happened at my house two weeks ago after Mass: For various reasons people were all in VERY bad moods after Mass. (Except me, of course.) So we head home, downward spiraling as we near our home sweet home. We arrive. The meanness and stupidity continue until I have had enough, and I scream in the middle of my dining room so all are sure to hear, "So where's the peace of Christ in this house?" (Remember, I am screaming these words. Crazy, huh?) I continue, "If Jesus came right now and asked me to go with Him I'd leave children, husband, nets, everything - and go."

But would I? Would I really?

I think I made my point. It took its toll on me though. I think being a disciple of Christ is one of the hardest things to do well. Note I said "well." Anyone can, as they say, talk the talk, but will you walk the walk? No matter what?

When you think of me think of me as a nearly empty vessel. God has systematically been presenting me with challenges which have gotten progressively harder. A few days ago I knew there was only one way to go, and that was up.

And so I asked God to begin filling me up with only the things He wants in me. Thankfully and finally, He has begun doing just that. Every one of my days is like a mini-play. There are only two central characters: God and me. Everyone else and everything else are secondary. They play bit parts in this life of Ours.

The Bible tells us Jesus was not accepted in His own hometown; sometimes I feel the same way. I think many here think I've jumped off the deepend into the Jesus pool. To me I'm just better for it, but they wonder, I'm sure. I can't worry about what they think though. Sometimes I simply brush their dust from my figurative sandals and go on.

So would I leave all to follow Jesus if I lived in His time? I don't know, but I know I'm trying in my time. Send a little prayer my way, will you, please? I'll return the kindness.
~Maureen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)