Saturday, April 10, 2010

Windy City - Day Two

Day Two in Chicago began with the most delicious breakfast buffet. Individual ready-to-serve Eggs Benedict huddled to keep warm beneath silver domed serving trays, as well as a chef at-the-ready to concoct any omelet my little heart desired. Smoked salmon, brie, salami with more actual meat than fat, every breakfast mainstay imaginable, as well as fruits and danishes. I had to remind myself that I can return tomorrow to prevent gastric overload today. Mmm…so good.

And now what? A leisurely day ahead. I could read, write, watch TV, people-watch. I could do anything I “wanted” to do as there’s nothing I “have” to do. I’m not used to such leisure. I’m usually doing or going. This empty expanse of time seems foreign. When I left for breakfast the marvelous maid sneaked in, made my bed and cleaned my room. Fresh towels, empty wastebaskets. That doesn’t happen at home.

I can only imagine the hours it would have taken to prepare a fraction of the foods on the breakfast buffet. And the clean up? I am further in awe that all these many buildings with sky-touching floors are filled with people. I’m looking out as I sit on the 11th floor to see three more buildings reaching ever higher. And I see directly into their curtain-less windows. I’m fascinated. Must have a bit of Hitchcock/Jimmy Stewart in me. Rear Window, remember? Voyeur, but in the more cleaned up sense!

This world is so different from mine. As delectable as breakfast was I was not impressed by the surroundings. Too big, too open and too noisy. Every time someone moved their chair in toward the table or pushed themselves back, squeeeeak. Every single time. I was reminded of similar stools in high school. The smart teachers asked the children to bring in tennis balls. Cut the tennis balls in half, secure one on each leg and – voila – no more squeaking. Chicago could learn a thing or two.

I am staying in a ritzy hotel; it’s no Red Roof Inn. But the room, like the restaurant this morning, is cold and stark. Too much chrome, glass and black for my liking. But that’s me. I’m sure others find it chic. I guess I’m more old-fashioned. Which leads me to believe that while taking everything good into consideration so far – buffets, maid service, leisure – I’m with Dorothy: There’s no place like home. And I’ll be happy to return, but, while here in the Windy City I will enjoy all it has to offer such as museums, the aquarium and restaurants to name just a few. More tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)