Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Friendship that Is Life

I wrote a column two years ago that I have tweaked a little bit for today. It’s timely for the start of Lent.

Will you feel the crunchy ashes glide across and down your forehead tomorrow? Will you be a visible reminder to all you meet that we Catholics have begun a very special time of reflection for the next 40-something days? Will you be giving up things this Lent or giving more?

When I look at the many and varied people in my life I can be in their presence for a very short time before knowing precisely for whom they are living at any particular moment – themselves or others. I look at my own children. There is a life I want for each of them. But I can't force it on them. They must choose it. They are all old enough to choose. I hope that tomorrow they will all receive those crunchy ashes, but will they? I’m not sure. I can’t troop them to Mass anymore. It’s their choice.

Ash Wednesday is so much more than being smeared with the burnt palms. It's a solid beginning to a time of reflection. In today's non-stop pace I wish for my sons and for all you readers to take the time to slow down. If one doesn't avidly seek a slowdown it will never come. Unless perhaps God decides to intervene to seriously slow us down, and in my experience that's usually a little scary – until we fully realize God's purpose for our lives.

So what is God's purpose for our lives right now? Do you think you have a pretty good handle on it, or are you clueless? Well, everybody must start somewhere, so clueless is OK right now, if that's where you truly are. Sadly, I think that way too many people don't have any notion as to what God wants to do with their lives. And many more simply do not care. They don't ask Him. I sincerely hope that during these next 40 days we all may find that quiet time to reflect with God. A few minutes are better than no minutes.

Ask God what He wants you to do, and look and listen all day long for His answers. You will be amazed at the ways in which He replies, and how frequently, if you’re really paying attention to the details of your life. It's scary and freaky and fun and awesome all at the same time. Do it and you'll begin a friendship for life – the Friendship that is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)