Thursday, February 11, 2010

Me - Plain...and Simple?

What makes us like (or not like) something?

As Valentine’s Day approaches why do I sincerely hope I don’t receive red roses on the big day? Because I don’t like red roses, that’s why. Why don’t I? No deep set trauma associated with them, so why do I prefer yellow or peach or pink? Why isn’t the gift of the roses enough? Why am I so persnickety about the color?

Why do I hate the taste of dark chocolate, but enjoy milk chocolate? Why does the raspberry flourish swirled on a dessert plate to complement the sweet treat make my mouth pucker in a repulsive reflex?

Why would I rather sit around all night long drinking iced teas until my bladder busts, rather than try the latest exotic martini? Why do I adore kittens, but not cats?

Why do I despise nearly every single perfume on the market, yet prefer lilac-scented candles? Why do I smile at the sight of a lawn brimming with dandelions when most others despise the yellow beauties?

Why do I think that adding vegetables to Jell-o is the stupidest thing ever? Doesn’t everyone know that Jell-o was made for fruit and Cool Whip – not veggies? Why do I love cocktail sauce, but wince to the point of holding my breath around horseradish? Horseradish is a main ingredient of cocktail sauce. I know this, yet still feel as I do.

Why? Why? Why?

Perhaps I am just weird – plain and simple. Well, plain maybe, but not so simple. Never simple with me. Yet even my explanation is a paradox because I think in my heart of hearts I am quite a simple girl.

P.S. I’ll keep you posted about those roses!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)