Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bubbles Burst

Many years ago as a 14-year-old freshman in high school I played a part in our school’s production of Fiddler on the Roof. Oh, how I wanted to land the part of the youngest daughter. I sang “Matchmaker” over and over, practiced my pantomime and rehearsed a reading. And I got a part! As a lowly freshman I was not cast in a prime role, but I did get a role, that of Mirala. Thus began my love of musical productions.

This afternoon Fiddler played on TCM and I had the entire living room to myself. Not quite sure how that happened, but I loved it and took full advantage of it. I dusted everywhere and arranged my knickknacks that I’d hidden away since before Christmas putting them all back onto my shelves. As I was doing so I thought of another movie – The Quiet Man with John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara. Remember when Maureen O’Hara longs to have her things about her? I felt happiness as I looked around and saw mine. A woman needs pretty things about her. Living with these five men hasn’t exactly given me a frilly lifestyle, but some touches I do enjoy and, quite possibly, crave. I feel better knowing that my things are “about me” again.

Back to Fiddler. I adore the songs and found myself singing along to most. I remembered every word to "Matchmaker," feeling like a teenager once more. And then toward the end of the movie my teenaged bubble burst. Tevye and his wife began singing “Do You Love Me?” You know, old Tevye and old Golde singing about life together after 25 years. I’ve been married 26! Do I feel as old as they look? Yikes!

Where did the time go? Life seems to spin by. Why is that? What made it so? I have no answers – just questions.

Wuthering Heights is on in a couple of hours. I’ll fancy myself as Cathy pining over Heathcliff until I see some old maid or housekeeper who’ll be portrayed as so very old, you know, like 50, all wrinkled up with her hair in a bun, her life nearly over. Ugh! I want to be Cathy in the pretty ball gown. I do. I do. I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)