Sunday, January 24, 2010

Time to Reboot

Why do I feel like spring is just around the corner? It’s not. It’s January in the Midwest. And it’s not just me. My friend who lives an hour away let her son play outside without a coat only realizing later it had been 36 degrees. I had to laugh when she told me. Are we kindred weather spirits? I couldn’t bear to don a coat today. A sweater did the trick; I wasn’t cold at all.

So what’s up? Mental global warming? A welcome optimism that my living room is back to its pre-Christmas state? Needles swept up, inch thick dust whisked away. Furniture re-arranged. I do love that real Christmas tree, but I also love it when the real tree goes bye-bye. Similar to owning a boat or a pool table. They serve a fun purpose, wear out their welcomes and sit in the yard, in the case of the boat, or hold piles of laundry, in the case of the pool table. We’ve had both boat and table.

As I’ve often said, I thrive on quiet, crave solitude. That Happy Place of mine upstairs (see January 15th Wish I May, Wish I Might post) is coming along. I have a definite maybe from my son to hang the drywall on Wednesday. Until then I must sort, sort, sort. The way I see it, everything I throw or give away leaves precious space for me, me, me. A little over a year ago, the roof was leaking terribly, hence the residual damage of recent falling plaster. After we replaced the roof I invoked eminent domain, and little by little this uninhabitable area exhibits more and more potential.

Like spring.

Mother Nature has cleared the snow. Tomorrow rain is forecast – a rejuvenating mask in the dead of winter. Come April we’ll all be sick of the rain, but now it’s a welcome diversion. As is my room upstairs.

Moms need time to reflect without distraction, to re-examine and refresh periodically. Otherwise, we’re always running on empty. And that’s bad for everyone concerned. This week I can be found enjoying the rain’s pitter patter above my head as I reclaim a bit of space and restore a bit of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)