Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy 2010!

December 31st is a horrible time to make resolutions. It’s cold, the days are short, night falls fast, and if you’re a mom you are bone-weary exhausted from pulling off yet another Christmas.

We moms gear up when the kiddies return to school every fall, muddling through buying school supplies, filling out medical forms and covering books. We settle back into a weekday routine: early rising, school, work-for-pay for many, work-for-zilch for all, dinner, homework and sports. Next come Halloween costumes and parties, Thanksgiving turkey and dirty dishes, and then Christmas nearly flattens most of us.

So by the time New Year’s rolls around, it is not the time to deprive ourselves, to join gyms and buy weight loss measures, swear off food or drink or cigarettes. It’s time to be kind to ourselves. Let’s not allow the calendar to dictate our lives more than it must. A woman is ready to commit to resolutions when a woman is ready – not before.

I cannot wholeheartedly profess to tackle weight issues, to be a better mom or better person doing all the noble things I do realize I should be doing. I want to do all those things; my heart is in the right place. However, as the big sparkly 2010 ball squashed 2009, I had but one realistic idea in my head. Dare I say “resolution”? I don’t think I shall actually use the “r” word. Too scary.

This is my thought: to write to you every day for the next 364 days. Pretty lofty considering my track record, but that’s what I want to do. If Julie of Julie and Julia movie fame can do it, why not I?

So that’s it, ladies. I will do my best. Tune in tomorrow. Same bat time, same bat channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)