Friday, January 29, 2010

Inspiration

Webster’s New World Thesaurus defines “inspiration” as “a stimulant to creative activity.” I would have to agree. I just hung up from a CatholicMom.com Writers’ Roundtable – a conference call where Lisa Hendey, founder of CatholicMom, corralled her columnists for an hour. We introduced ourselves, and shared a little about our writing and future aspirations.

And it was great!

I have often sung the praises of the Internet’s ability to unite moms. Lisa informed us that CatholicMom.com reached mothers in 100 countries last year. How awesome is that?

Awesome and exciting! And I was a part of it.

Let’s face it, as moms we don’t exactly garner applause for our efforts. Our rewards usually come to us more subtly. Likewise for aspiring writers. A comment here, a review there. So when I had the chance to hear fellow Catholic writer moms (and one dad) voice their opinions I felt nestled among kindred spirits. Some of these writers are just beginning. One woman referred to herself as “just a mom.” CRINGE! But I know exactly how she feels; I’ve been there. But no matter where we all are we know we are among friends.

To end the call we voiced our special prayer intentions. And I got choked up! I really did. An hour earlier, most were total strangers. Suddenly I am praying for others' intentions, fervently hoping that God keeps each one safely in the palm of His hand. Now I continue down life’s continuum with not only the names and headshots of aspiring and established Catholic writers, but their voices as well, to inspire me along my own journey.

*A special thank you to Lisa Hendey for all her efforts.

1 comment:

  1. Maureen - I had a wonderful feeling about the call as well! I know that this will be a tool in helping us all grow in our writing skills, but most importantly in bringing us together in community to pray for and support one another.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)