Monday, January 18, 2010

We Are Our Choices

Are you a list maker? Or do you fly by the seat of your pants? Do you dot all your i’s and cross your t’s or do you dance to the beat of a different drummer?

A week or so ago I told you how much I enjoyed the TV show, Being Erica. Lucky for me the network ran a marathon and I recorded the first season’s offerings. We are the sum of our choices. How true. Words of wisdom from episode one. We sure are the sum of our choices. Good, bad or somewhere in between our lives are formed by the big and small choices we make every day.

I wonder if we realize how important our choices are. What was cannot be changed. But tomorrow can be! We can alter our perceptions. We can serpentine. Granted, many of the dots of our lives are already drawn, but it’s up to us how we connect them.

The biggest and most positive realization for me is that the only person I can change is me. My windows of opportunity with my sons closed years ago. They are who they will be. I have never been able to change another person – and not for lack of trying! Not children or husband or anyone else. Because that is not my job. My job is me and only me.

And so I work on me. If no one in my house understands me at times, that’s just too bad. I don’t understand them either. Life goes on. I do my best. I try. And that’s going to have to be enough. Sometimes I wing it while at other times I’m a stickler. It just depends. Maybe I am hard to understand by those closest to me in proximity. I don’t know. But I do know I just don’t care anymore. And that’s a freeing feeling. After all, there’s really only one Guy I’m trying to impress. And He seems to like me just fine most days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)