Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mom to the Rescue!

How many times have we moms been our children’s hero throughout his or her life? Kissing bruises, running forgotten lunches up to school, attending football games in monsoons? We feel special satisfaction when our children know exactly how much they mean to us and that we would do anything for them. What a feeling when our little one looks into our eyes with such love and gratitude. A definite perk of motherhood.

I haven’t kissed many bruises lately, my sons go to Subway now and sports are long gone. Do my boys still know I’d do anything for them? Do they know how deeply my love is rooted? Do they feel as attached to me as I to them? I wonder.
Or am I now simply the out-of-touch mom ready to be put out to pasture? The old-fashioned mom with the out-of-date values and beliefs? The disciplinarian who wrecks their fun?

“You’ve been playing that game for hours!”

“I don’t want to hear that word one more time!”

“Turn it down!”

“Where are you going?”

“Write down the phone number where you’ll be.”

Suffice it to say that none of them have registered a fan club in my honor. They love me. I know that, but at this time of our lives it’s more like ships passing in the night scraping hulls. And I have the loudest foghorn.

My son’s ship blew a gas line yesterday. He called to tell me what happened and that a co-worker had picked him up so he arrived at work on time. But his truck didn’t fair as well. I asked about towing which he said he could not afford. He’d “take care of it.” We hung up.

Hmmm…old Mom got to thinking…How? How are you going to take care of it? Are you going to fix the gas line lying in the road under your truck tonight after work when it’s dark? Maybe you can’t afford a tow, but I can!

I called three companies until I was quoted a reasonable price. I drove to my son’s work, grabbed his keys and met the tow truck guy who hooked up the truck and followed me home, depositing the broken down beauty in our driveway.

My ears nearly froze off, but I felt really happy. I like being needed. I liked giving more than was expected – surprising him. And my son truly appreciated it. This morning, in the light of day, in the safety of our driveway, my son fixed his truck and is good to go. And I got the chance to show him a fraction of how much I love him. I gave God to one whom God gave to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)