Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pockets of Joy

Pockets of joy. Similar to silver linings, I suppose, but more prevalent in day-to-day living. Take yesterday. Really, please take it. Keep it. :) Yesterday did have its unexpectedly good moments – the pockets of joy sprinkled here and there.

Like the very fact that I didn’t have to take my 90-year-old mother to the doctor by myself. My mom can walk only a short distance without getting terribly out of breath. At home she’s on oxygen but can manage without it for a few hours. However, her legs have given out on her. We walk from seat to seat to get to our destinations.

So, how positively wonderful when my sister-in-law first offered to accompany us! Of course, the first mom-ingrained thought when offered the help was, Oh no, I can do it alone. You don’t have to miss work. But she persisted and I accepted. And thank God I did. It was just such an immense burden taken off my shoulders. A burden shared doesn’t seem so heavy.

My mom and I were dropped off at the doctor’s door rather then searching for a parking space and walking more than was necessary, and we were picked up afterward. All good. Having a second set of ears listening to the doctor was invaluable. My last pocket of joy was when we three enjoyed a much-needed lunch together. My mom ordered her favorite drink – an orange blossom – probably her sole pocket of joy of the day!

Today we repeat yesterday with different destinations – mammogram and ultrasound…and maybe lunch again. Who knows? Today, moms, I wish you all pockets of joy in your overly scheduled mom lives. Cheers! (An orange blossom is orange juice with gin, in case you’re wondering.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)