Tuesday, January 5, 2010

In the Blink of an Eye

In the blink of an eye a life can change. Luckily, this blink ended well.

7:00 Alarm goes off.
7:33 I really should get up. Rolled over instead.
8:00 It’s now or never.

20 minutes later I was driving to Mass. Small group – just five today.

I opened the church door to the news that while lighting the candles one of the faithful ladies had just caught her hair on fire! Then patted the flames out with her hand! We’re talking one tough bird here. And the sweetest little lady you’ve ever seen. In her 80s.

Everyone leaped into action – fetching ice and Neosporin, cleaning her poor singed hair and wounded hand. It happened so quickly and could have been so much worse. I thank God our friend I fine.

Surely there will be no end to the funny sayings and jokes shared at the Little Fireball’s expense tomorrow. Talk about the fire of the Holy Spirit! Perhaps a reenactment at Pentecost? I hope not!

It’s good we can laugh about it. It’s good my friend wasn’t wearing hairspray. It’s good she was so quick-acting as to extinguish the fire quickly before it had a chance to spread. Many “goods” came out of the bad.

Have you ever thought that good a.k.a. God is trying incredibly hard to triumph in all situations? Good comes from bad. Good begets good. A smile shown to one multiplies to many. Another case in point: Today I went grocery shopping. With the parking lot a snowy, slushy mess, I played the I-need-help card and asked for a bagger to take my groceries out. On the way out of the store I saw a sign at the florist, “Any bundle 99 cents.”

Any bundle? Really? Once the guy stashed my groceries I went back in the store. Sure enough – any bundle 99 cents. A huge assortment. Tulips caught my eye. I began to choose. Pink, white, red. I returned to the cashier’s line…waiting again.

When suddenly the couple in front of me asked if me and my tulips would like to go in front of them. Giving God. How simple. How generous.

And I thought, She need tulips! Giving God is fun. Tomorrow Little Miss Fireball gets some too, as well as the other angels of mercy.

Not a bad 99 cent investment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)