Sunday, March 21, 2010

90-year-olds Unite

How does taking your two 90-year-old parents to another’s 90th birthday party sound? Like tons of fun? Well, that’s what my husband and I did today. My parents have known the birthday girl their whole long lives – since the second grade. It’s actually quite sad when my parents read the obituaries each morning; they always seem to know someone written up in the columns. So celebrating a friend’s life at a birthday party is certainly preferable to attending their wake.

Even though it takes much effort to take my parents somewhere, the effort is well worth it. We just make our minds up to move slowly. Life is not hurried because it simply cannot be. Year by year my parents are winding down more and more. Their bodies aren’t keeping up with their aspirations. And it’s sad. About ten years ago my mom bought a pillow she keeps in the living room. It states: Screw the Golden Years. Funny to think my mom would have bought such a decoration but she did, and lately I understand why.

It’s disheartening to lose what we once had. To sit by and watch our capabilities diminish. To rely on others for so much. But it’s better than the alternative, right? At least my parents still have each other and we have them. This May they will have been married 69 years. Unbelievable! And they still love and care for one another.

My parents’ lives have been a lovely unfolding throughout the years. I can’t begin to relate all the ways in which they have taught me by their examples. May God always hold them in the palm of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)