Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lazy Day

Can you say: lazy day? This day was peaceful and quiet. Two of my sons are on Spring Break and one of them remarked how great it was to do nothing. And you know what? It is! I haven’t set the world on fire today, but I have made two pies, and cookie dough is chilling in my fridge as I write. I could have driven to town for a haircut. I could have folded clothes or cleaned the bathroom. But I didn’t. As far as I know the Clean House Police have given up on me. I don’t expect a raid from them today. Consequently, all that “stuff” can wait. My house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy. I have that phrase written on a wooden plaque which my mom gave me years ago. It’s so true.

I’m not comfortable in spotless houses – never have been. Maybe when all the boys have moved away I will find the time to care about such things, but I highly doubt it. Time will tell. As it is now, I feel I have successfully balanced the line between yelling at my sons 24/7 about their endless messes, and ignoring the mess. In other words, if company unexpectedly dropped by (which by the way, I hate!) I would not fall dead of embarrassment. The house would pass inspection. That’s a good thing.

Today one son grilled hotdogs outside for the first time this season. And afterward he took it upon himself to clean up some winter debris, and rake in the backyard – without being told. This is a very good thing! Mom is happy. I figure that if we all pitch in a little when we can that that is good enough. Everyone has busy schedules. My guys aren’t babies anymore. They all have their own lives and priorities.

I wish you a happy last day of March. Time to hang Easter eggs outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)