Friday, March 19, 2010

Here Comes the Son

I can’t believe how much happier everyone is in my house with the advent of this stretch of sunshine. Our temperatures are in the 60’s. I forgot just how much I missed the sun and warmth and going outdoors without a coat. And the snow this winter! Crazy! Finally we have not a trace of snow in sight. The largest plowed piles have officially disappeared. Mud has taken its place, but that’s OK with me, for as the sun shines it dries up the mud.

Today the sun is my best friend. Its very existence has spurred me on to accomplish chores inside my home so that tomorrow I will work outside. I have a few patches of pretty crocuses blooming with the promise of tulips rising up out of the ground. Of course, we also have some stray Christmas tree branches here and there, but that’s us; we’re not exactly on the ball when it comes to keeping things neatly in their places.

Until there’s an event. Then we go crazy working on things that should have already been done. This is a perfect example of me vs. my five men. I will never change this state of affairs. So I accept it. I have often said that no one cares what my house looks like. And if they do – too bad. Neat as a pin has never been me or mine. That’s just the way it is.

But hope springs eternal. I really had about given up on the inside of my house. It’s true that we have accomplished some decent home improvements in the past 15 years, but there’s so much more to do. I get quite impatient. I mean, what the heck! There are five men in this house who know how to do the things that need done. Slowly, slowly, everything happens so slowly.

I’ve written about my room upstairs which I jokingly call My Happy Place. Well, you should see that place today. 187-year-old plaster beaten off the walls awaiting blown-in insulation which, one son promises, will be done tomorrow. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I think with all things in life we must be patient and go along with God’s plan for us and acknowledge that God’s time is not our time. I complain like an ungrateful woman at times, but I am grateful for the good that God has given me. Sometimes I just have to take a chill pill and realize that God knows best. Some days I may have to swallow that pill several times a day, but then there’s a day like today when God has sent His sun. I must remember every day that God has sent us His other Son too for all our many trials – big, little and in-between. And when we talk, God the Father, His Son and Holy Spirit all listen to our pleas. And in God’s time They answer.

I wish you Son-shine in your heart today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)