Thursday, March 25, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

Earlier in the week I spoke of the whirlwind of activities as well as the many highs and lows which have bombarded me and mine. My head is spinning and I am tired. My whole family is tired.

How many of us experienced moms remember when our “big” ones were just “little” ones, and something happened in their lives that we couldn’t control? Perhaps it was after their first days of school when a tearful daughter returned home crying about the bully on the playground. Or the dear Cub Scouts who questioned the authenticity of Santa. Or a coach who was unfair. Unfortunately, the list of slights can be quite long when we’re talking, in my case, four boys times 20 years. As moms we remember them all. Like elephants, we never forget. I’ve forgiven, of course. But not forgotten.

As our little ones grow older I am reminded of the saying, “Little kids – little problems, big kids – big problems.” This was perhaps never as true as in this past week. We’ve lived through the gamut of mischief boys get into and most all it could have been avoided had my dear ones listened to their parents. But who always listens to their parents? I didn’t. Live and learn. We learn through our mistakes; they are the necessary evil of life.

But what happens when your older child comes up against a force which you know is not fair. Not a bully on the playground, or an unfair grade in science class. What do you do when your child-turned-man’s future is unfairly influenced by a total stranger? We couldn’t go punch the bully back then and we couldn’t go punch anyone now. But I wanted to.

We must continue to be the level-headed ones, the ones who guide without pushing, steer without forcing. And that is so darn hard. This week I just wanted to scream, “Do it this way! I know what I’m talking about. I’ve lived through situations like this. You haven’t. Trust me. Do it! You are too nice. ‘Nice’ isn’t going to win this one.”

Actually I did give pretty much of the above mentioned advice. The stakes were high. I needed to be heard. But my son was getting so much advice from so many people that his head was probably doing a Linda Blair.

And then I stepped back. Who knows what’s best? I don’t. Who sees around the bends and through the detours? I don’t. Who loves my children as much or more than I do? God does, that’s who. And He wants the very best for all His children. I’d spouted enough. It was time to let God get through. That was the best advice I could give my son: to ask God what He wanted for my son. And to ask God to help him achieve it. If it was meant to be, it would be.

And God came through! My son is purchasing his very own home.

I learned a few lessons myself through these difficult days. An added bonus was witnessing the solidarity of family and friends to the same end result: Everyone wanted my son to get this house. Everyone was praying and hoping and wishing for the “yes.”

And we got the yes yesterday. Apparently, I yanked the phone out of my husband’s hand when the call came through while we were eating lunch at a nearby restaurant. And apparently I was pretty loud as all eyes were on me. Oh, who cares? I was so happy! And I still am. Thank You once more, God, for lighting the way to make this possible. “With God All Things Are Possible.” Not just a cutesy saying, but fact.

Turtle Day was a very good day! More on that tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)