Friday, March 26, 2010

Turtle Day!

About a year ago one of my sons fell in love with fish. He’s always loved fishing, per se. Having the patience of Job, he can sit or stand in a river or lake for hours on end waiting for that nibble. But last summer he came across a deal, probably on Craig’s List, for an aquarium complete with filters, nets, rocks, whole shot. He just needed to buy the fish.

Did I want a huge aquarium in the corner of my living room? No. Did I want to make my son happy? Yes. He set up the aquarium, was interested in it for a while, and like many new hobbies, the aquarium began to turn murky and green. And it smelled. In the living room. Mom was not happy. Finally my son cleaned it out.

And a rebirth of interest in the little fishies grew. For the past couple weeks adding fish, and discovering really cool rocks of all shapes and sizes has been his passion. And isn’t this 100% better than mindlessly playing the Call of Duty video game? He’s bought a new filtration system, shopped the local pet stores for baby sharks and crabs, and the other day he ran across an ad for turtles.

I love turtles! Always have. He placed the order and gave me strict instructions in case the turtles arrived when he wasn’t home. Yesterday was the expected date of arrival. At midnight our whole family was still awake and pretty bummed about some of the house developments (see yesterday’s post), but once the clock struck 12 I wished my little aquatic nut, “Happy Turtle Day.”

Around noon the six little cuties arrived. I opened the package and rescued them. Again I say that I love little turtles. When my son came home he was thrilled too. It’s amazing how happiness is infectious. And still we were waiting on those pins and needles about the house offer another of my sons had made days earlier. Tensions were high, collective family nerves were frazzled, but turtle happiness shown through the gloomy clouds.

And when we received affirmation that my son’s house offer was accepted the wild rumpus started! We were all so happy. Whenever good comes to good people it restores our faith, shining up our outlook on life.

My family will forever remember the day when the journey of acquiring a new house collided with the joyous arrival of little baby turtles! Sometimes we just know when we are on the cusp of good fortune. It’s here for me and mine. I can feel it. And it feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello ladies (and the occasional enlightened man!),
Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you.
~ Maureen :)